May 20th (OFFICIAL DATE)
May 27th (CALLBACKS)
June 3rd (MAKE-UP AUDITIONS/FIRST REHEARSAL)
JSU Marching Southerners Practice Field (Bennett Field)
Audition choreography videos are NOW POSTED! Check out our Youtube channel for breakdown videos of choreography and fundamentals!
What exactly will take place during the audition camp?
On audition day, you will be evaluated in areas of flag fundamentals/choreography, and rifle fundamentals/choreography (optional). You do not need to have experience on every piece of equipment. However, training on flag will be helpful to you during the audition process. Some of the exercises may not be familiar to you, please refer to the videos posted on our YouTube channel and feel free to contact the 2023 Leadership Team.
The following skills will be evaluated at auditions in May:
I. Flag (Required)
II. Rifle (Optional)
-- In the Southerners Colorguard, we spin 37.5' rifles
-- Saber auditions will take place later in the summer
Frequently Asked Questions
- What should I expect the day of auditions? We will start the day off with registration and payment of your audition fee with Mr. Bailey. We will do quick introductions and stretch to get ready for the day! Then we will focus on flag fundamentals and the flag choreography as a group. It is to your best advantage to learn the flag choreography before auditions as we will not have time to break down every count. Mr. Bailey will then teach his own flag choreography that will be a part of your audition at the end of the day. You will get a full hour for lunch. Bring money to purchase food locally in Jacksonville as we do not provide lunch. After lunch, we will split into flag and weapon auditionees. Flags will continue to practice fundamentals and choreography while the weapons split off with the weapon captain. Auditions will take place in small groups at the end of the day!
- What should I be working on before auditions? Learn and practice all of the fundamental exercises and routines that are posted on the SCG YouTube channel. Knowing these will greatly benefit you during the audition process!
- Do I need to bring my own equipment? Why, yes! If your equipment is the standard 6’ pole with the standard 37x56” flag, then by all means, BRING IT WITH YOU. Color of the silk does not matter!
- Do I have to audition for weapon to make the colorguard? No, weapon is optional. However, you must make the flagline to be a member of the colorguard.
- Is there a certain attire for auditions? Yes! Please come in all black clothing and tennis shoes. Black shorts and a t-shirt/tank top is recommended as it will be very hot.
- How do I mentally prepare for auditions? Come as prepared as you can with an open mind! It will be a very long and hot day, but in the end it is worth it! Southerners Colorguard is very welcoming and any member will be happy to help you throughout the day. Know that you are loved and appreciated!
- Rifles will need to be 37.5'
- How much is the audition fee? $20!
- I am not yet a senior, but I would like to participate in auditions. Is that possible? Yes, as long as you pay your audition fee ($20.00), you will be eligible to participate in the audition process.
If you have any questions, feel free to contact Mr. Rodney Bailey at email@example.com or our head captain, Hunter Bishop at firstname.lastname@example.org